Friday, September 17, 2010

Everybody Loves Harold

Mickey attracted men.  Harry attracts everyone.

Employees of PetSmart and PetCo must see hundreds of dogs in the course of a week.  I can't imagine they all take the time with each one of them as they did with little Harry.  Even though we were picking up flea shampoo and I told people that he had a cold, that didn't stop anyone from coming over and giving Harry a little attention.  And he soaked it up.

The odd part is that Harry is not a cuddler.  He doesn't have to be right on me all the time.  In fact, it's rare for him to sit on my lap.  He might be near me, but not on me.  And I respect his space.  However, he sees a stranger that is smiling and "oooo-ing" at him, and he immediately bounds over to them and then collapses on their shoes, looking up all smiley, tongue out, begging for a pet.

Perhaps he's like many men (and some women I suppose): he enjoys the chase, but if he's already won a girl over, he just doesn't want it anymore.

One woman (an employee) was seriously considering adopting him. Another really really wanted to, but her dog at home didn't like other dogs.  I think she loved him even more when she asked his name and I replied, "Harry Winston."  And the hot groomer guy wasn't interested in adopting Harry but he came over to pet him and say hello; I can't really complain about that.

When I got home I checked online for reviews of the natural flea stuff I had just bought.  It wasn't cedar, but it involved other plants.  I decided not to use it when I read some of the reviews stating that it stained the dog's white fur.  I found a real cedar spray online, and then went to PetCo to pick it up.

Here, a group of three people were walking by my aisle and caught a glimpse of Harry sprawled out at the end of his leash on the floor while I perused the various cedar products.  I heard one of them comment, "Oh my God, how cute!"  I looked up and said that he was up for adoption.  They all came over to say hello to Harry and the two who couldn't have Harry tried convincing the third that could, that Harry was the perfect companion.

On our afternoon walk, a man stopped us to take a picture when he commented to say how cute he was and I told him Harry was looking for a home.  If I take this kid to the coffeehouse, he'll have people lined up to adopt him.

There have been a couple of very miserable looking people who have not smiled upon seeing Harry.  Those people, I've decided, are clearly the spawn of Satan.  I mean come on, how can that face not make you smile--even just for a split second?


Harry is one very cute kid.  It’s not just what he looks like; it's his personality.  And the better he feels, the more it shows.  He's part comedian and part sociologist.  Harry seems to need to sit when he thinks and studies something.  So it leaves me looking like a creepy person since I'm just standing there on the sidewalk with Harry at the end of his leash on someone's front lawn staring at their family unit on the porch.

Harry is cute when you get to know him.  But he's intrinsically cute too.  All puppies are, but there's something about this kid that makes him special.  Since I failed at the crate training and I had an 8 a.m. orthodontist appointment, I asked my friend to meet me there and spend twenty minutes with Harry while I went inside.  It's illegal to leave a dog alone in the car for any length of time in California (and for good reason), but when I was finished eight minutes later, I felt bad having dragged my friend there for such a short Harry experience.  But I got something out of it: I got to see Harry with someone else.

My orthodontist's office is on the 2nd floor and the windows face the street.  As I was waiting for the doctor, I watched out the window and saw little Harry bouncing about at the end of the leash with my friend.  Harry was biting the leash and wagging his tail, and from my friend's gestures, I could tell he was conversing with him.  The reason Harry draws people to him is that even from as far away as I was, I could see Harry: not just a cute puppy, but the personality within.

When I met up with my friend a few minutes later, I told him how cute Harry looked from up there.  "Yeah, he's definitely a chick magnet.  You have no idea how many women had to smile and 'aww' at him."

Harry is a people magnet.  Chicks, dudes, children, everyone.  You see him and you smile.  He is one very special puppy.  And he deserves one very special forever home.  I realize that petfinder is the equivalent of internet dating, and my feelings on that are pretty blah, but I'm hoping it'll bring the right person to Harry.  Fostering is fantastic for dogs, but it means they only get seen when the foster parent gets out--or on the internet.  I think he's going to find a home grass roots style, love at first sight, he and I walking the streets.  But if I'm wrong, his ad and info are up on adopt-a-pet.

http://www.adoptapet.com/pet4388712.html

He's under his middle name "Winston" in the ad, but his close friends call him "Harry." If you think you deserve this special guy and can complete his title with a kick-ass last name: Harry Winston [insert your last name], and that he might actually choose you, please check out his link, fill out an application, and let's see if we can make a Love Connection.

In the meantime, I'm going to give this kid a bath so he's sparkling clean (and hopefully sans entourage) for his new family.

No comments:

Post a Comment