Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tia and Tank... and Randi... and Everyone Else

Usually people describe dogs as "Good with dogs" or "Good with children" or "Not good with cats."  But after Steve, a fellow dog rescuer, spent the afternoon with Tia, he described her as "Good with everything."

I can't agree more.

Tia's age is still up for debate, somewhere between six months and a year, but her intellect and exuberance is never doubted.


She still follows me room to room, and when I get out of the bathroom, she is right there waiting on the other side of the door.  It makes me wonder how many dog owners have abandoned their pets by sneaking out the bathroom window as if on a bad date.

I've had friends over the past few nights, and I was surprised to find that this little girl has a bit of a passive aggressive jealousy in her. First, when my friend and I were sitting at the kitchen table, I suspected Tia was simply lying beneath us snoozing until I felt the table tremble and heard the sound of canine teeth on wood.  She was gnawing on the table leg.  When I told her this was unacceptable, she slunk into the living room to be on the couch.


Fifteen minutes later, I look over to the couch and see that she's pushed all of her toys off the couch and instead, has the couch pillow between her teeth.


The next night, I had two friends over and were busy conversing at the kitchen table when I heard an odd sound from the living room.  There's Tia, quietly munching on the carpet.  This was the only action I could sort of justify.  Earlier in the day, I had gotten a Comfortis pill (flea protection) to give her from the vet.  When I asked how to give it to her, they were nice enough to throw in a pill pocket.  Giving her Drontal (de-wormer) proved to be a struggle, and the staff at the vets said just put the pill in the pocket and she'd gulp it down.

Alas, Miss Tia has a sensitive palate, and when I gave this to her, she proceeded to take twenty minutes to eat the pill pocket AROUND the pill, and leave the pill all crunched up.  The pill pocket became a gooey mess as I continued to mush it back up and put it back in her mouth every time she dumped it on the carpet.  So, the fact that there might be pill pocket morsels in the strands of the carpet was a likely scenario.   However, still unacceptable.

I had a meeting Wednesday afternoon, but all these things combined, there was no way I was leaving her alone.  I was not looking forward to having to put her in boarding for even a few hours.  She still had anxiety during our car rides, and I didn't want to prove to her that every car ride ended in a crappy time.

Maripat had asked a fellow rescuer if he knew of any place, and his wife chimed in that if Tia was good with other dogs, she was welcome to spend the afternoon at their house.  At that exact moment I was standing on the corner of my block, and Tia was staring across the street at a bulldog/pit bull mix appropriately named Tank who was standing inside his fenced in front yard, yipping at her in a not-so-manly manner.

I told Maripat I assumed Tia was dog friendly, but since people were crossing streets when we came along, or the neighborhood dogs just barked at her, I couldn't be certain.  Tank's owner came out the front door, hearing her big burly dog's squeaks and I crossed the street to let Tank and Tia become acquainted.

Tank is not neutered (I wasn't in the mood to educate; I was just happy that Tia appeared to be having fun), so Tia couldn't join him on his side of the fence.  Instead, the two romped up and down the fence, Tank letting out squeals of joy and Tia dodging and weaving and wagging her tail.  It appeared that Tia liked other dogs as much as she liked people.

On our way back from our evening walk, we ran into Randi, the beagle puppy that Harry had enjoyed going twenty rounds with on someone's lawn.  Tia enjoyed the play as well.  She was gentle enough to play with a dog only a third her size.  I was overjoyed.  There should be no issue at all the next day.  Tia didn't just have a place to go on Wednesday; she had a play date.

With all the other guests in Steve's house, it was one big dog party.  I waited in the living room as he brought one dog in at a time.  I realized I'm not crazy for speaking to dogs the way I do: in conversation.  From where I stood, I heard him say, "Randy, come here.  Come inside.  No!  Just Randy."  I guess "Just Randy" was understood by them.

One by one they came in and met Tia, and then treats were given to all.  Once the introductions were made, the entire group was led out to the backyard.  Now this was a backyard to be envious of.  Steve said that's the only reason he and his wife got the place.  They didn't care about the house--just the yard.  Tia romped and played with his dogs and his visiting dog.  He was on his way out the door to pick up another dog, one he was rescuing from a local shelter, so one more would be added to the group soon.

Seeing Tia with those dogs made me realize how much she does need to be with other dogs; whether it's at doggy daycare or in her own household, equal life dog and human is what she would love.


When I picked her up two hours later, she was happy to see me, but clearly had been having a grand time where she was.  Steve emailed me the pictures, and there's no doubt she had fun with the humans as well as the dogs.


Steve even took a video to use for promoting her:



And if all this wasn't proof enough, the evidence of her fun was her deep sleep which she began the moment we got home.  She didn't even follow me room to room, but only made it to the doorways where she could catch a glimpse of me--if she had the energy to open her eyes.  For the first time while I made dinner, she wasn't at the kitchen doorway watching me, but still sound asleep in the middle of the living room floor.


Tia is one special little lady.  And she deserves one very special human guardian who can give her snuggle time and canine romping time.  I’ll miss her when she's gone, but I know she's got a grand life to lead, and I feel blessed to share this time with her now.


If you're interested in Tia, or know someone who is, please check out her Adopt-a-Pet page:


1 comment:

  1. Man, I wish we could take her, I really do, she seems exceptional.

    ReplyDelete