Monday, October 12, 2009

Newton & Cheyenne Travel Adventures 10/10/2009

"I love it when a plan comes together!" as Hannibal from the A-Team would say.  And it's not because a new remake is in the works that I mention this, but truly a transport rounder involving two or more rescue organizations, three planes, seven dogs (was it 7?  how many were there, Patti?) and close to a dozen people is quite an accomplishment.  Clearly we had the right team, the right timing, and the universe on our side.  Even me working a job in my second-to-least favorite area for commuting purposes worked out for the best because it allowed me to pick up Cheyenne Friday night, kicking us off to an early start.


(Surprisingly Cheyenne finds my lap more comfortable than her own seat. )

I wanted to say thanks to all for involved in the transport.  Everyone did their part and despite minor time changes, it ran smoothly.  It was my first experience with Pilots n Paws, and I must say these guys (and gals) rock!  For any situation, once you involve a private plane and pilot, the situation moves up a few notches in the cool factor.  While Cindy was packing up the plane, some people saw the Kern County dogs in crates that she was loading up and asked if she was transporting "like Pilots N Paws".  She confirmed that not only was it like Pilots N Paws, but WAS Pilots N Paws!  The people were totally excited to meet Cindy and witness the transport in action.  They even got a few pics together with the pups.



With a little creativity, Cindy managed to fit all of Cheyenne's accessories onboard along with the five dogs. I hope it was a good flight for Cheyenne.  She didn't get a lap to sit on, so I'm sure no matter what it was a disappointment for her, but it certainly was a shorter ride than any of us land-locked transporters could have done.



Many thanks to Larry at Wasco who went above and beyond by bringing little Newton with him when he left the shelter for the day so he didn't have to wait for me to drive up there.  I met little Newtown at an AM/PM only eight miles from the airfield!  That truly is dedication!  And my goodness, I thought Cheyenne was tiny--Newton is micoscopic.





He was soooo sweet, but a little scared.  He wasn't skittish though; he just let you move him about, resigned to be on this adventure but not really taking an active role.  Because he went straight from Larry's arms to mine and then my lap (he didn't like being all alone on the passenger seat, and in all honesty he looked like the tiniest island in a vast ocean on that seat), that I didn't get a good look at him till I got to the second airfield of the day where I was to meet Patti who was picking up the Brittany Spaniels.


(For some reason, a plane in any picture makes it infinitely more cool. )


Newton really is sweet.  I can't even think of a better word for him.  Every now and again when I smiled at him, I'd hear a little twack-thwack of his tail against the car door returning my sentiment.  At the airfield I set him down in the grass to see if he had to pee, but he just stood there, tail between his legs.  I tried to persuade him to walk, but he wasn't in the mood.  Larry said he was brought in when he was hit by a car, but could walk perfectly fine.  I'm sure he's just a little scared to walk for fear of something large like a car striking him down.  Physically he's fine.  Dave, one of the pilots on Patti's transport, made an excellent observation when he saw me carrying Newton around.  He pointed out, "Well I wouldn't walk either if I had someone willing to carry me around all day!"  Point taken. ☺





But honestly, it's a little hard NOT to want to carry little Newton around all day.  Maybe I was just excited to have a dog I COULD carry, but it also was because he was just so sweet I wanted to hug him the whole time!

I hope he gets a home soon.  I wish I could meet him again when he's less shy and willing to come out of his shell.  I can see why he was a shelter favorite.  I got him to roll over and allow me give him some belly rubs, and he did walk around for a short time while Patti coordinated the next leg of her adventure in her car.



When I returned to hand Newton over to Patti (he's so tiny I could just pass him through the driver's side window), I got to see the perfect portrait of a dog transporter, the moment before the calm settles in and the drive actually happens.  My camera had died so I couldn't capture it on film, but I don't even know if a still would do it justice.  Patti sat in the driver's seat with one Brittany behind her in the back seat fluffing up the comforter and another standing on the passenger seat.  She had a phone in one hand, the GPS in the other, typing in the directions she was getting on the phone, while Newton sat on her lap and the Brittany tripped on the console, braced himself on the steering wheel, set the windshield wipers going, and oh, did I mention her right blinker was on the whole time?  And all the while, Patti sat in complete calm, the eye of the storm, typing on her GPS as the windshield wipers continued their motion, the blinker kept demanding the car turn left, and the dog beside her persisted panting, his tongue dripping drool onto her steering wheel.  It was beautiful!  I tried to laugh softly to not add to the chaos, but I couldn't help myself.  Luckily most dogs are like babies:  once the car is in motion, they fall asleep.  I'm sure Newton did.

Here are some pics, and let me know if you ever have any transport needs.  I can only take one at time, unless they're Newton-sized and I know they get along with one another since all I have is my passenger seat.

Dena, when will Newton be ready to be adopted?   I like to send out the link to people when any of my transports are up for adoption.

Thanks again everyone!  The plan really did come together!

-stephanie.

No comments:

Post a Comment