Thursday, October 29, 2009

Newton Update


I do apologize for the late update...but it's a good one!

Last weekend I made it to So Cal Dachshund Rescue's "Hallowiener" event.  It was the usual adoption fair along with a few reasons that make me confused on why dogs put up with us humans at all  (ie doxie races, a costume contest, and eating contest--these were for the dogs, not people).  Dachshund people truly are a whole class of people unto themselves.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them, but if you don't have a wiener dog, you really can't understand what the big deal is.

When I arrived Newton was already being held by someone, which really shouldn't have surprised me in the least.  Like me, the woman snuggling him couldn't adopt him, but just couldn't resist carrying him around and hugging him.  Once she got her fix, I got mine.  And then while I moved on to another doxie who gave me those big brown eyes I'm a sucker for, I set Newton down so he could be adored by others who could be his potential new guardians.


When I returned from walking the other doxie, I found Newton in yet again someone else's arms--this time a young girl's.  The volunteers were really nice when I told them I had been the transporter and that's why I came to visit, and they let me get inside the pens to hang out with the adoptees--something I think only official volunteers and children did.  I certainly didn't see anyone else my age stepping into a penned in area, plunking down, and allowing themselves to get accosted by dachshund attention.


Mom Auditions

A couple hours later (yes, I did watch the races, and even snuck a look at the eating contest), I noticed Newton was not back in the pen.  He was still in that young girl's arms.  I went over to greet Newton and say my final good-byes when I struck up a conversation with the girl's mother.  Indeed, he had stolen both their hearts, and they were adopting him.  In only one week's time, Newton went from the Wasco shelter on death row to the arms of a little girl who will love him for the rest of his life.


New Mom

I don't always get to know what happens to those I transport, so I was ecstatic to not only get to know, but be there when his new beginning actually happened.  Newton had already moved into his foster family's home, been to the vet's and given a clean bill of heath at 10 months old, had his balls snipped off, and got himself a forever family, all in a week's time.  The family that wanted him wasn't even going to go to the event (they were work friends with one of the rescuers), but at the last minute decided to go, never knowing they would meet the new love of their lives.  Life really is all about being in the right place at the right time.  Just like the transport that seemed to be miraculously smooth, Newton's transition from homeless canine to adored pocket pup and family companion was easier than anyone could imagine.

I wish you the best in your new life, Newton.  Thanks for sharing the road with me for a time.





-stephanie.

PS--here's also a couple of pics of Newton, his new best friend, the Ugly Dachshund, and other photos.  By the way, I thought the way this adoption fair was run was awesome!  Rather than dogs in individual cages, they were put together in pens (although I contended that NONE of the dachshunds I ever had would have been contained by those fences--they would have been jumped over and pushed over in only a matter minutes).  It allowed children to play with them, and we all know that's the key to getting a dog adopted:  get the kid on your side, and the parents are a breeze.:)





No comments:

Post a Comment