Saturday, January 30, 2010

Mickey...Always an Adventure

Hi Christy,

Thank you so much for meeting up with me and watching Mickey for the few minutes I needed to see the orthodontist.  I guess Mickey did miss me a little because on the way home in the car he felt it necessary to lay across my lap.  It was a first for me:  usually only tiny dogs sit on my lap, but I gotta hand it to Mickey for accomplishing the position while not putting us in danger.  Granted it didn't look comfortable, one back foot in the cup holder, the other hanging off the passenger seat, his waist draped over the center console, his paws jammed into the driver side door, and his nose right at window level to watch out the side.  He didn't try to get up until we got off the off ramp to home, but when I told him to stay down, he did.

I'm very excited that he will be going somewhere that he can play with those like him.  Last night after our walk he decided it was a good time to play, and began a frenzied circuit run around the living room.  I tried to record it on my camera, but it looks like some sort of canine Blair Witch Project with the shaky camerawork, and it's so dark you really can't see him in all his glory.  His victory laps consisted of starting at the front door, around the coffee table, up on the couch, down off the couch, he added the hallway and kitchen in one lap but decided against it after one slide.  He doesn't have much traction with the pads on his paws.  I don't know if it's because they're very dry, but I've seen him slide on a terry towel that's how little grip they have.  So I have to admit I was impressed that on his laps around the living room he didn't slam into a wall or go careening into the piano.

all tuckered out...

I can tell he wants me to play with him like I am a dog, but alas I am not so I think that's why he doesn't play as much.  He wants to get mouthy which is unacceptable (he doesn't bite down at all, just opens his mouth in play and I stop him--terribly un-fun for him).  Give him a dog, and it'd be fine.  This morning we met a beautiful black and white female pit mix.  Mickey was SO HAPPY!  I felt bad for the pit's human though.  She was quite petite and her dog noticed us before she did, and practically dislocated her shoulder trying to get to us.  I was at a safe distance away and said, "He just wants to play.  Does yours just want to play?" 

She responded with, "Yes, but the problem is she weighs half what I do."  (I imagine she was inferring if this turned bad, she wouldn't be able to drag her dog away).  But the two dogs weren't barking, and were just balking to get closer together.  Sure enough once the two got nose to nose, we both let out a sigh to not have struggling canines at the ends of leashes.  Hers was more excited than Mickey was and did almost take her down when she ran in a circle of happiness before returning to Mickey again.  The play ended when she finally had to stop to pee, and I told Mickey to leave her to her business.  He was so happy to have that interaction.  I have to say, it's very nice to be with a dog that I don't worry about his reaction to other dogs.  My only worry is if the other dog seems aggressive because even though he's chocolate lab and pit mixed, if an altercation arose, he'd only be seen as a pit and therefore he'd be blamed; so I am cautious, but never because of him.


My neighborhood is not filled with friendly canines.  People really need to socialize their dogs.  Yesterday we walked down the side of the street we usually don't walk on and it was one right after another:  at the first house two dogs came to the driveway gate and got so barky and riled up that they started a fight with one another...which then led to the next house where two dogs jumped up on the couch in the living room and threw themselves at the window, barking at us on the sidewalk...and then as we got to the third house, THREE dogs in their living rooms all bounced on top of one another and almost torn down the curtains, making utter chaos at us.  Mickey just looked on and didn't make a peep.  So far there's only been two well-adjusted dogs that he could stop and introduce himself to while they were in their yards.

I'm not sure if we'll head out in the car again today or not.  But I really do look forward to seeing where he'll spend the rest of his layover tomorrow.  Give me call and we can coordinate what time and if you want to meet me here or you want me to go to your place; whichever is easier.

Thank you again for watching him for me yesterday!

-stephanie.

No comments:

Post a Comment