Saturday, November 24, 2007

Precious Cargo: An Introduction to The Continuing Journey

In the summer of 2007, I drove from California to Massachusetts, giving a lift to homeless canines in need of a ride out of high kill shelters and into rescues, fosters, and forever homes. In an effort to stay in the moment with the dogs and not be interrupted by phone calls, every night I emailed those who had entrusted the lives of these canines to me to let them know how they were doing. I cc'd my friends and family so I was still on the radar and they knew I hadn't driven into a ditch somewhere.

Unbeknownst to me at the time, those who received those emails then forwarded them to others to share with them what one 29 year old single woman was doing with her summer vacation.

When the journey came to close six weeks later, I began transforming those emails, photos, and memories into a book. That book, Precious Cargo: The Journey Home, is now in its final stages of editing before it tries to find its own forever home with a publisher.

So while my manuscript is in the capable hands of a professional editor, I've compiled all the letters, emails, photos, and blogs about the canine charges I've had since that fateful journey ended.

From this point forward, all the dog tales will run as current blogs. All previous posts are original emails and blogs I've written about those homeless canines who have shared the road, my home, and my heart for an hour, a day, or a week on their journey to their forever home.

As for the pups that rode shotgun with me across the highways and byways of America during the summer of 2007, you'll unfortunately have to wait for the book to be groomed to perfection and ready for adoption (hopefully later this year).
-February, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment