Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Freckles is on the Road!

Hi Riki and Helene,

Just handed Freckles off to Jolene, so he should be arriving in Fresno later this afternoon.  I would have taken pictures of him on his ride up there, but it's difficult to drive, take pictures, and ward off his advances.  He just wants to be in your lap when you drive.  I did give him his Woobie, a yellow towel that I discovered he enjoys attacking, rolling on, and sucking on.  It did distract him for a few minutes in the car.



He seems to be nocturnal; perhaps he's part cat.  He can sleep all day long in the living room and kitchen, but the hours of midnight to six AM are reserved for pacing back and forth, trying to get on the bed, trying to get me out of bed, trying to get off the bed, getting dramatic about not being allowed on the bed for the fourth time and slamming oneself into the wall with a sigh and crashing to the floor, followed by a few groans in case I didn't get his point.


Afternoon Sleep Position #1              Afternoon Sleep Position #2

I should give him some credit though--he did sleep for a few minutes.  I was actually excited that he fell asleep on the towel I placed on the bed and was sleeping soundly for a good twenty minutes.  But he appears to have night terrors--or whatever the term is for canines who don't fully sleepwalk, but do make motions and noises in their sleep.  I realize my concern for his breathing the night before might not have been so much flu-induced as just getting worked up in a dream.  I couldn't stand to see him all fidgety and whining and shaking the bed, so I was the one who woke him up out of that dream.  He seemed thankful, but then that was the end of peace for me that evening.

He is vocal when it comes to food.  He wasn't brash enough to jump on me, but again this morning he tried the whine/grown/moan while sitting next to me.  When that didn't work he went to the living room where he lay down, closed his eyes, and then began his impression of a lawnmower with Doppler effect, which crescendoed into an all out bark.

Last night he tipped his food dish over AGAIN, and then walked into the living room.  I told him to come back in and pick it up (the food all over the floor).  He sighed, came back in, sniffed the food on the floor, but didn't touch it, then picked up the food dish with the remaining food in it in his mouth.  I watched in silence expecting him to either a.  throw it into the air, or b. fling it at me.  Instead he walked back into the living room, lay down, and stuck his face in the bowl to finish dinner.  He didn't seem to care that I didn't give him permission to eat dinner in the living room.

Freckles is indeed quite the character, and with some basic training, I know he will make someone an awesome dog...he might even be a good candidate for being a therapy dog.  I don't think he's a Freckles though...I don't know what his name is, but it just doesn't feel right calling him Freckles.  (but that's just my opinion).  I think as he continues to get better, his personality will shine through even more.  This morning he actually ran around the apartment and chased a Kong.  He appears better, but stress does cause the eye and nose running.  The drooling is just extremely active salivary glands from what I can tell.

Thanks for letting me hang out with him for a bit, and let me know when he's up for adoption so I can spread the word.  He really is going to make someone very happy (perhaps someone who works the night shift :)).

Stephanie.

No comments:

Post a Comment