Monday, May 4, 2009

Freckles - Tons of Pics

I had received an email about a pit bull mix that needed to get from a South LA shelter to Valencia, less than an hour round trip.  Initially he was supposed to be neutered first, but he couldn't have surgery because the shelter had diagnosed him with kennel cough (sick dog=no surgery).  He was red-listed, and the transport couldn't happen until Tuesday, so I offered to pick him and overnight him until then.
 
Hi Helene and Riki,

Thought you might enjoy some pics of Freckles.  He really is quite a great dog.  His paperwork says he was caught as a stray, which if that is the case and he's never been in a home, he's done quite well in my opinion.  He was a little antsy in the car, first trying to sit on the passenger floor while his head and front half of his body was on my lap, next by finally sitting in the seat but every now and again trying to get into the back seat.  I found out what he wanted back there was a rolled up travel blanket to chew on, not food or toys--just the blanket.


It's easy to know when he's about to get mischievous because his tail wags, giving him away.  I keep wanting to call him Mr. Waggles.  When he finds something especially fun, his tail wags not just back and forth, but in every which direction in a chaotic semi-circular motion.  He loves to hear laughter; it makes him wag even harder so his whole body wags.  He also just wags contently as he wanders about.  And my favorite:  he was lying on the floor sleeping when out of nowhere, I heard two THWACK-THWACK's on the floor...he even wags his tail when he dreams.


He doesn't know Sit or Stay, but gets the concept of Come, and responds to a quick "Eh!" to stop him from something.

As for his health, he drank a LOT of water when he got here...almost all of which ended up on the potted plant outside two hours later; the rest he saved for the neighborhood.  He ate dinner, and eats a little quickly.  I don't think he always chews.  I've given him a treat and his mouth opens, it goes in, and it's gone--not chewed, just swallowed.  He is panting a lot, but now only in bursts as evening as turned into night.  I think some of it is just anxiety.  He tends to starts panting when he gets up to see where I'm going.  As he sleeps now, he's not panting, but the rhythm of his breathing is still a pant--rapid shallow breaths--but his mouth is closed.  So I do think some of it may be from the cough, but some of it is just stress.  He does whine too, although I haven't figured out why--except when I went into the bathroom and he couldn't come:  that got a whine, and a pounce on the door actually.


Oh, he's a bit of a drooler.  No Hooch from Turner and Hooch, but he really hasn't any clue when a thin seven inch drool is hanging from the left side of his mouth.

(Salvador Dali Perspective)

I think he's going to make somebody one very happy person.  He's a cuddler, but can't seem to get comfortable.  It's like he wants to be close to you, but not sure how to go about it.  So he ends up with his face in my boobs, then his ass in my armpit, then leaning with the side of his body into my leg, then stretching his legs into my thigh, and all sorts of strange positions that don't look very comfortable.  He's quite limber, and sits way back on his haunches so his back legs are straight, and has no issue showing you his goods. Anyway, I realize I've gone on and on about him--I can't help it.  He's a good dog.  Here are some pics.  I do think perhaps he should get back on his meds, just so he doesn't relapse.  He's been on Baytril 68 since April 26th.


 
I look forward to hanging out with him for the next couple of days.  Riki, just let me know when and where you want to meet whomever on Tuesday and I'll be there!

stephanie.

No comments:

Post a Comment