Monday, May 4, 2009

Freckles - sicky boy

One of the unfortunate things about pulling a dog from a shelter is that if the dog is on any meds, you don't get to take them with you.  I can only assume it's got to do with them not being licensed to sell animal pharmaceuticals or something.  Freckles really did seem to have some respiratory issues, but I was hoping he could hold out to start a new course of antibiotics when he got to the rescue in Frenso.

Below is the email I wrote the rescuers about trying to get him some drugs.

...I was thinking I really only need 2-3 pills since he's headed to the rescue tomorrow.  I don't have a vet, but if someone can just call in a couple of pills, I can pick them up.

His breathing is better today, but last night he had issues.  He does better lying on the flat floor.  He didn't get the concept of "bedtime" whatsoever.  He hasn't had any accidents (or purposefuls) in the house, but I think it may be because I'm giving him ample opportunity to go outdoors.  We went to bed at 11, back up and outside at 2:30am (He wags so hard, it just looks like he's about to pee his pants).  Then up again at 5am (didn't take him out, he just wanted to either be on the bed with me or have me down on the floor with him)...finally had the official morning walk at 8:30am....and of course now HE'S sleeping on the living room floor.

He does seem better this morning.  His breathing has slowed to normal pace.  He's vocal as well.  Grunts and moans trying to get his point across, and even let out a bark when I explained for the fifth time that I was not sharing my breakfast and he could have his own on the floor...he then went over to the dog bowl, stuck his foot in it, and tipped it over.

He really is quite the character.  I think he'll be fine till he gets to the rescue, but I didn't want to see him have to do a full course all over again.  His stool is really soft, and he's kind of constipated (hunches for a good long time, wanders a bit, etc before anything comes out).  And when he farts, geesh.  It's REALLY bad.  The stench actually woke me up.

Let me know if you can find a couple of pills, and I'll get them.
Thanks!
stephanie.

No comments:

Post a Comment