Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Big Love and Little Advantages

I received an update via email on little no-name dog I called Edie.  Within 24 hours of reaching her foster home, she got herself a forever home.  Not sure if her fosters failed as fosters and adopted her on the spot or if someone along the road to San Clemente called dibs on her before she even got a chance to shake the shelter dirt off her.  But either way, congrats, Edie.  See, being little and cute really is an advantage.

But as for my dear love, Mickey, he still hasn't found a home yet.


I met up with Alexis and Mickey at a Starbucks in West Hollywood yesterday, to meet the rescuer I had only known by email, and to visit with Mickey again.

Alexis told me that he's settled into his foster home, and will be remaining an American citizen.  Although Canada doesn't have as many BSL (breed specific legislation) as the United States, her apartment building does.  Mickey's genetic make-up makes him an unacceptable house guest at her place.  And the fact is, Vancouver has its own pit bull problems--too many in the shelters and not enough good homes willing and able to take them.  So she feels he has the same chances there as here, so he might as well stay here in Los Angeles.


He's still loveable as ever.  I didn't think he recognized me to begin with, but then he got excited enough that I figured he did.  He's such a gregarious soul, I wasn't sure if was just being over friendly towards me.  I could tell he loves Alexis as well.  When she stepped inside Starbucks to get him some water and her some coffee, he stood at the end of the leash for a time, wanting to see where she'd gone off to.

Alexis informs me that he definitely adores Eric (I told you he loves dudes), and is even more fond of Eric's sausage-shaped beagle mix Flloyd (not for eating purposes, but for hanging out purposes).  He follows Flloyd around, licks and snuggles him a lot, and likes to sleep on his bed with him.  I know for certain now that Mickey is having way more fun where he is now than he would with me.

I don't know why he hasn't gotten a home yet.  I know he's not a pocket-pet like little Edie, but he's such a handsome, loving gentleman, I'm surprised he's still available.  He's not overly excitable (except when it comes it comes to some dogs, but neither Alexis nor I can figure out the common variable).  He met a sweet little girl pittie at the coffee house and in the middle of sniffing her, he sort of lost control--of his bladder.  He was facing up hill, and I watched in slight embarrassment (for him and me) as the line of urine picked up speed and cascaded down the sidewalk toward the entrance of the coffee house.  Perhaps this is why he likes guys better: women make him lose control of his faculties.

Alexis and I sat and chatted, mostly about Mickey, while I got some quality time with my old roommate.  I was surprised when I went to pay for parking that the attendant asked me to pay $17.50.

"Does that include the one hour validation?" I asked, putting my ten dollar bill away.

"Yup.  Time just slipped away, huh?"

At $2.50 for every fifteen minutes I suspected I'd be paying $10.  I guess I really did let time slip away.  I just paid $17.50 to see my former foster dog and have coffee with the rescuer that saved his life.  Although I would have preferred to not pay anything to place my vehicle on a slab of concrete, I can't say it was a waste of money.  If I had to spend money, this was a darn good way of doing it.

When Alexis and Mickey starting walking back up the hill and I was a step behind on way to the parking garage, Mickey turned in surprise to see that I was following.  He looked up and behind at me, his tail wagging.  "Hey, you're coming home with us?  Cool!" his body seemed to say.

But alas I had to part ways with him.  I stopped in front of the garage entrance and bent down to give him another hug.  I thanked Alexis for meeting with me, and I wished Mickey luck on his quest for home.  This time I didn't break down in sobs and tears in the parking garage or at the next stop light.  He'd be enjoying his time in West Hollywood, hanging with Flloyd and Eric until an even better home comes along.

I hope that home comes along soon for him.  Not just for his sake, but for whomever is meant to be his new mom or dad.  They might not even realize they have a space in their heart shaped just like Mickey where he belongs.  But once he looks into their eyes, and he gives them a big dog hug, they'll never recall life without him there.

 
If you know someone who might just need a Mickey to fill their heart, please send his link along.  He's a good boy, and he'll love you for the rest of his life, I promise.  And if you have a dog, he'll probably love him or her too (although if it's a her, you might have to watch for any accidental loss of bladder control, but remember he is a guy and all men lose some faculties in the face of extreme beauty).


No comments:

Post a Comment