Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Dog Skip

I got an email from Alexis on Thursday night asking if one week was too long for me to foster.  Attached to the email was a short video of the dog in need, Skippy.  He was walking along next to none other than my dear love, Mickey.  (sigh).  How could I say no to a friend of Mickey's?

Due to me not having a fancy-schmancy phone in which I can access my email on the fly, I didn't know that Skippy was already put into boarding until Friday afternoon.  So, unfortunately, I had to pull him out of boarding (the same place I left Mickey for one day only).  I swear this woman probably thinks I'm taking business away from her.  It's a fine facility, I assure you.  But there's no need for a rescue to pay money for boarding when a volunteer is available, and no reason for a dog to be in a kennel when he could be on a couch.

Alexis' video link she sent me also listed a few other videos starring Skippy--one at the shelter, one at the dog park, and another of him just wandering around somewhere.  Looking at his big goofy grin, I had to take him in.  But I was worried about one thing: he was a terrier.


See, I don't have problems with pit bulls.  I don't have problems with strays.  But I do have a problem with barkers.  And terriers simply have an innate propensity to tell, not show, exactly how they feel.  As a human that does not always have the willpower to keep her mouth shut, I have a hard time asking my canines with the same flaw to keep their comments to themselves.  But given my living situation, silence is of the utmost concern.

Skippy was a "Return".  He was adopted from the shelter two years ago as a mere puppy.  And then in January, he was returned back to the shelter, like a dress worn once with the tags still on it.  I don't know his guardians' situation, but when I do the chronology in my head, I come up with the possibility that someone (perhaps a couple or a family) bought a house in 2007 at the height of the housing boom with interest only loans, and got a puppy at the shelter to make the home complete.  Two years later, they can't afford their home, and pet friendly rentals are hard to come by, so the final piece of puzzle that made their family was returned to where he came from.  Except here's what they may not understand:  much like the house they bought, their dog lost value too.  They might have thought that since he was adopted by them long ago, he'd have the same chance now.  But he won't.  He's not a puppy.  And he's not more attractive for being "gently used".  Luckily Alexis found him, and there's a family ready and waiting for him up north.


Alexis sent me his info via text message on her way to the airport: neutered, house-trained, good in car but barfs after an hour...she left him with a dog bed and a giant bag of food at the kennel.  She said he'd be fine for a week in boarding, and I'm sure he would be.  But why should he?

I told the woman at the kennel that he'd be back on Monday at least for the day, if not for good.  I was still worried about his barking, but I had to give him a chance.  Maybe he wouldn't.  Maybe he would be a perfectly quiet young gentleman.

But I was wrong.  I thought perhaps having a dog for a time would distract me from my own anxieties about not having a job.  Well it certainly distracted me, but only by giving me another anxiety--that he would growl or bark.  As he sat up on the couch next to me, every time someone walked by the window, he would come to attention, his ears perked, his eyes glued to the window (even after they've passed), and I'd watch his lips twitch, ready to growl.  I spent most of the evening staring at him, ready with "Skip, Skip, it's okay. Good boy.  Quiet," and other variations as soon as I thought his mouth was about to open for comment.


He managed a few growls and two full barks all night.  Because he's been in a home, I'm not worried about him peeing on the carpet, or eating electrical wires.  I thought it would be relaxing.  But last night was not relaxing.  I'm hoping he'll calm down, get down off the edge, and let me be the boss.  He needs to know he's safe here.  I'll give him another day or two.  And hopefully he'll choose to not have to comment on every noise.  Cause honestly, he's a pretty cool pup.  I'd like the chance to get to know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment